Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LM850 Restoration

Good post. Thanks AndyS.

My LM already had the Mario treatment when I bought it in 2008, but was cosmetically challenged. Both Azazl and I can recommend a painter if you need one. He got the dayglo paint on the fairing perfectly. Note the original was a sticker, not paint.

IMO the LM850 was the perfect Guzzi. They got it right. Engine is great, and it handles like a scalpel. Rearsets are a must, otherwise its a bit like riding a camel. At the end of Tonti Le Mans production the 1000S rectified some of the indifferent traits of later Le Manses, and you'll love the comfort of the 1000S after the LM850.

Mine after a paint job.
    No road is safer than the one I just robbed. (Mexican Proverb)

Its been a while since I updated this post, things have been progressing, albeit a little slower than I originally planned;

Parts that were removed from the bike have been painted, polished or restored in readiness of being re-assembly when they are needed;

IMG_1277 2.jpg

The frame returned from painting which gave me the chance to assemble the front and rear end (although the rear end will have to come out to allow for the motor and box to be fitted !);

IMG_1323 2.JPG

IMG_1433 2.jpg

The new loom was then fitted, with all other electrical parts restored, mounting frames repainted etc;

IMG_1430 2.jpg

IMG_1426 2.jpg
    Last edited by AndyS; 15-06-2017 at 12:01 PM.

The bike is now starting to look a little 'bike' like again, with the clip ons fitted and a few bits and bobs;

IMG_1570 2.jpg

IMG_1569 2.jpg

The engine is almost finished, with a few new parts fitted but still stock spec, down to the 2 tonne fly wheel !!

IMG_1558 2.jpg

IMG_1571 2.jpg

IMG_1572 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Butterfly View Post
    Good post. Thanks AndyS.

My LM already had the Mario treatment when I bought it in 2008, but was cosmetically challenged. Both Azazl and I can recommend a painter if you need one. He got the dayglo paint on the fairing perfectly. Note the original was a sticker, not paint.

IMO the LM850 was the perfect Guzzi. They got it right. Engine is great, and it handles like a scalpel. Rearsets are a must, otherwise its a bit like riding a camel. At the end of Tonti Le Mans production the 1000S rectified some of the indifferent traits of later Le Manses, and you'll love the comfort of the 1000S after the LM850.

Mine after a paint job.
    Looks great Iron Butterfly, I have a painter all lined up (thanks for the offer) he's done a couple of bikes for me in the past and done an amazing job.
    The LM is certainly more direct than the 1000S that's for sure, and after fitting rear sets and swan necks to the 1000, its even more 'laid back'.
    The Ago rear sets was one of the early changes I made to the LM, made a great improvement to the riding position and the gear change, with all the new parts in the gearbox it should almost be reasonable when its finished

Quote Originally Posted by azazl View Post
    You are certainly doing it right. Building it yourself you know exactly what it is like.

I did the same to my 750S but the paint is still original. The front left frame down tube had a hairline crack, so it was cut sleeved and rewelded. Otherwise frame and body were good and suspension rebuilt.

The original seat, swan neck bars, tail light assembly, brake MC and single bleed style brake calipers have been stored and replaced with replicas.

It didn't have the original mufflers having been replaced with (I understand) Stucchi fabricated ones. They are packed away as well and replaced with Lafranconis. I've not sourced the 'shark gill' type and probably wont unless they fall in my lap.

The original borrani wheels are still on and will be replaced at some stage when I source (and can afford) a matching set.

I didn't do the mechanicals myself. It went to TLM in Nijmegen in 2010. Any engine, gearbox and drivetrain component over about 40% wear was replaced. I wanted it to run like a new bike and it does. They stripped it, laid everything out on a table and we went through each part deciding what would be replaced. Very happy with the result but I could have bought a new Jap superbike for the money.

Looking forward to yours being completed. The first Le Mans 850 was a special bike.
    Thanks Azazl, I think its one of those bikes that deserved a full restoration. Not something I'm always keen on, however the paint had been re-done many years ago (in the US) and was one of the worst jobs I've ever seen.
    So that coupled with 100 layers of crystallised WD40 on the cases meant that there was little hope of anything other than a rebuild.
    As it turned out it was a good decision, the chance to replace any worn parts, find 2 bent valves and recondition so many others should give it another 40 years on the road.
    Hoping to have some big steps completed in the next 4 weeks, so I'll post up new photos once we turn the corner

Love what you've done. I'm sure it'lll be a museum quality resto when you're done. More pics and updates please!