Thread: Uniformity......perhaps

Uniformity......perhaps

Came across this article, some of it is old news, up the bit about uniformity on helmet cams I hadn’t heard before.

https://motorbikewriter.com/uniformi...eid=f8b0a9e313

the new rules....

Formalise the use of European helmets certified to UN/ECE 22-05 which provide safer helmets and a more competitive market;
    Clarity over standards compliance for helmets at the point of manufacture only (current rules demand a helmet must be in exactly the same condition as when sold, unmarked by use and include all original packaging and booklets, which is impossible);
    Remove legally-grey areas, such as use of dark visors in bright daylight, and use of communicators and cameras;
    Provide uniform rules for lane filtering (currently four different sets of rules exist, with considerable variation); and
    Tidy up some small variations resulting from unclear definition criteria.
    In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    But in reality, there is.

Interesting stuff. Lane filtering is definitely an area that needs clarity. Just like the recent efforts to stop car drivers and bicyclists from killing each other by educating the public about the 1m clearance rule when passing a cyclist at 60kmh or below, we need to educate drvers and riders on filtering.

After spending three and a half years riding 6 days a week between Scarbs and Kwinana everyday, I did a LOT of lane filtering (splitting) on the freeway. If that were illegal, I'd have spent a hell of a lot more time on the road than I did.

In all that time I had precious few incidents with cars. Instead, almost all near misses were with other riders. The main problem being unreasonable speeds and poor behaviours as they filtered.

I see by the new rules that filtering is illegal above 30kmh. That means that if the freeway is backed up and only moving at 35, you won't be allowed to filter. I'd prefer the limit to be 60 and include a differential speed to the other traffic. For instance, if traffic is stopped, filtering bikes must not exceed 10kmh. If traffic is doing 55, filtering bikes must not exceed 65.

Basically, 10kmh above the speed of other vehicles. Doing 30kmh up between stationary vehicles is a bit crazy.

But you have a Cali

The quicker you split the less time you spend beside any one vehicle.

The safest place is between 2 vehicles side by side. Drivers never go close to the vehicle beside and in the event they do, your bar ends will keep the cars apart.

(only partly said tongue in cheek.)
    The Mexican Cabal:
    no jugar bien con los demás

Lane split on the Cali?! Sure if the two lanes are occupied by Fiat 500's.

I've found that during the weekday afternoon peak hour, most people heading north out of the city leave a pretty good gap for the bikes. Not enough for the Cali though.

And going to work I rarely lane split. Imagine getting wiped out trying to Get TO work!

Splitting on a Cali? Piece of piez.

If we were on drinking terms, I'd tell you about a Cali with crashbars, a tourbus, a caravan and a mountain pass in Norway.
    The Mexican Cabal:

Quote Originally Posted by azazl View Post
    But you have a Cali

The quicker you split the less time you spend beside any one vehicle.

The safest place is between 2 vehicles side by side. Drivers never go close to the vehicle beside and in the event they do, your bar ends will keep the cars apart.

(only partly said tongue in cheek.)
    The voice of experience.
    In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    But in reality, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    The voice of experience.
    Could be luck. ��
    The Mexican Cabal: